CGT101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WDP Project

3 posters

Go down

WDP Project Empty WDP Project

Post  Joe Price Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:22 am

[WDP students] currently lack proficiency in …[ design, software, coding, communication and working with clients…], needed to help grantee [successful job performance], without which our [performance may be considered poor], and it is our desire to learn these skills so that we may be [successful].

So basically I feel that everything in brackets needs to/can be defined further.

Ask yourself:

What is a WDP student?
What areas do we need to focus on?
What do we mean by successful?
What is a poor performance?

These seem to be some good questions to get us started in discussion. If anyone else thinks of any more questions feel free to share.

Google Scholar might be a good place to look for articles. Also look at about.com they always have come interesting stuff. Another source you may consider looking at are Purdue's databases, just go to PurdueLibraries.com. You may want to consider looking at the CGT homepage too, they probably have a good definition of what a WDP student is.

It is my hope that we can continue to evolve our project over time through group discussion.
Joe Price
Joe Price

Back to top Go down

WDP Project Empty Re: WDP Project

Post  Jacob Venable Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:08 pm

On Purdue's CGT Website, they define Web Design/ Programming as follows:

An area of study concerned with the analysis, design, production and distribution of interactive multimedia, such CD-ROM and Web-based tools. Study in Interactive Multimedia focuses on asset building skills as it relates to type, raster & vector graphics, computer programming, audio, video and animation. The curriculum also focuses on the composition of media assets within authoring and Web technologies to create tools that inform, educate, persuade and entertain. Students graduating from the program are prepared for management level roles as producers, art and technical directors as well as asset building roles in all areas of multimedia and hypermedia production.

For the most part, Google Scholar had many books for tutorials in web design which I suppose can be used to understand how we practice it, but not so much defines what it actually is.

The following book I'm linking contains the kind of tools web designers will use on Page 22:
http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=OZ9hDNqiA-YC&oi=fnd&pg=PR3&dq=web+design&ots=GR0pM_sDSM&sig=Wq6vFDAswAN7D1uzfSfnx1x5big

I didn't have too much time to read over much, but I hope this helps some!

Jacob Venable

Back to top Go down

WDP Project Empty Professor Glotzbach Interview

Post  Jacob Venable Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:34 pm

Hey guys, I just had my interview with professor Glotzbach today, and I received some answers to some questions concerning Web Programming.

Q. What is exactly web design/ programming?

A. Basically, web designer/ programmer is responsible for the creation of any web content whether it is
the graphics that people see or the code that puts it all together. What you do really depends
heavily on your preferences, and what skills you possess. Professor Glotzbach also mentioned that
many desktop applications today are also web based and fall under our field.

Q. What courses at Purdue do you recommend taking?

A. CGT 141 (required)
CGT 215 or CS 180 (stated that CS 180 may be more beneficial because it is more informative but is
also a bit more difficult)
CGT 353 (Front End Web Development)
CGT 356 (Back End Web Development)
CGT 456 (Back End Web Development)

Q. What programming languages are necessary to learn?

A. Professor Glotzbach mentioned knowing PHP, MySQL, Javascript/ JQuery, XML, HTML5, CSS,
Asp.net, C#, and SQL Server. Most of these are well used in the work force, and he mentioned that
we will also use these in future classes.

Q. Are there any tools necessary to learn?

A. He stated that in his classes they used Dream Weaver and Visual Studio to work on projects, but
also said that there are various other tools that are either personalized or possibly required by who
you work for.

Q. What do employers look for in a potential employee?

A. He said that what employers look for depends on the job they are trying to fill. When you apply for a
position, be sure to include all the skills you possess including programming languages, software
capabilities, and also a way to see your portfolio.

Q. What should be in my portfolio?

A. He started by saying that a portfolio is a huge thing that employers look for. The first thing they will
look at will be how your portfolio site looks and runs. On the website, you want to do the best to
show off your coding skills by showing functioning code, and also your design skills. You should also
post various projects that you did inside and outside of class. For the projects in class be sure to
add personalization, if it is possible, in order to make yourself stand out from the rest of the
students who did the same project.

Q. What is the best way to find jobs or internships?

A. He highly recommended attending the various round tables that are hosted at Purdue. Even as a
freshman we should at least attend to be able to get a feel for how the events work, and as a
sophomore we should at least start passing out resumes. Networking is also a great way to find jobs
as we have heard time and time again. He also added that when you are looking for a job, be sure
not to have stupid things posted on Twitter or Facebook. 75% of employers look at Facebook or
Twitter when they receive a resume, so be sure to remain professional.

Q. What experience should I gain before entering the work force?

A. He stated that doing either a co-op or internship is such a great experience before entering the
work force. If you don't know what a co-op is (like I didn't), it is when you work for a company for a
semester, and then go to school for the other semester. He said that you can learn way more in 2
or 4 months with a company than in a semester at school, and such experiences are great to put on
a resume when you finally for looking for your job out of college. Using an internship as a means to
network is also a great idea.

Jacob Venable

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Price Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:49 pm

Free lance work - Rentacoder.com Carlos Morales
Free Lance work - importance of working on your own project and being able to teach yourself
Neil Merchant - Learn stuff on your own classes are behind the curve. Software changes, stuff becomes irrelevant.
Joe Price
Joe Price

Back to top Go down

WDP Project Empty State Approved High School Diploma

Post  cornellpetrisorr Tue May 22, 2012 4:59 am

We provide all of the advantages of a traditional high school without the social, safety and academic concerns. You can rest assured that Stanley High School will provide you with a superior education that prepares you for college and your professional career. When you enroll in Stanley, you get quality homeschooling online.

We are dedicated to seeing you succeed in education and we are willing to help you achieve your goals. We work with our students on a level that is just right for each student. We are here to help you achieve your goals and get you to the next step in your life. We can do this by offering you an accredited high school diploma program that is online which makes it convenient and affordable for everyone.
cornellpetrisorr
cornellpetrisorr

http://www.stanleyhighschool.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum